According to new research from the IAB and its Mobile Marketing Center of Excellence, 47% of tablet users say they engage with ads on the device more than once a week, and 25% of smartphone users do so as well at the same level of frequency. Once these mobile device users have engaged with an ad, the report finds that 89% of said tablet users and 80% of said smartphone users are likely to "take action." Focusing more on different consumer behaviors, the study finds that smartphone users consider the device to be essential to their day-to-day lives, with 70% saying that they "never leave home without it." In comparison, 70% of respondents indicate that their tablets served as entertainment and media hubs. Among consumers who have both devices, 60% prefer smartphones to "look up info on-the-go"; versus 22% who would choose a tablet for such an activity. When asked how they preferred to consume traditional media like print and video on mobile devices, respondents by large chose tablets (69% for print, 68% for video) over a smartphone (9% print, 8% video). Other findings include:
For smartphone users, the three "most impactful media moments" of the day are the early morning (nearly 20% access social media), mid-day (28% cite "free time" windows that allow them to access media), and primetime evening (IAB says both social media and general media consumption spike during primetime TV viewing hours).
For tablet users, IAB says waking up stands out as a key social media time; 28% access social media on their tablets first thing in the morning.
48% of smartphone owners and 59% of tablet users indicate that they regularly conduct local searches on their mobile devices while at home and in front of the TV.
News is becoming a major type of content available on YouTube, according to a new report from Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism. Conducted over 15 months (from January 2011 to March 2012), the study found that roughly a third of the most-searched terms each month on YouTube were news related. And this content is not only coming from the news organizations themselves; consumers are actively involved in the process, sharing in content creation with news organizations, per the report. Of all news videos posted to the site during that timeframe, Pew says 39% of news videos originally produced by a news organization was posted on the site by users; while the news outlets themselves published the other 61% of videos that they had produced. Among the other data from the report:
The three most popular stories over the 15-month period were non-US events: the Japanese earthquake and tsunami (5% of the 260 most-watched videos); elections in Russia (5%); and the crises in the Middle East (4%).
There is less of a focus on specific individuals or personalities on news videos shared on YouTube: Pew says that not one individual was featured in even 5% of the most popular videos, and 65% did not feature any one person at all. However, within those videos that are centered on people, President Barack Obama was the most popular person (featured in 4% of the top videos worldwide). Videos ranged from speeches to political ads from opponents.
The lengths of the news videos on YouTube vary: The median length of the most popular news videos was 2 minutes and 1 second. Overall, 29% of the most popular news videos on YouTube were less than a minute; 21% were one to two minutes long; 33% were two to five minutes in length; and 18% were longer than five minutes.
81% of cell phone users would either "definitely" (50%) or "probably" (30%) not allow a social networking app to collect their contact lists in order to suggest more friends, according to the results of a 1,200-household survey from the University of California, Berkley. When asked if they would be okay with a "coupons app" collecting contact lists in order to deliver coupons to their friends, 75% indicated that they would "definitely not allow," and another 18% said they would "probably not allow" such an app to do that. Location-based advertising practices also don't escape the ire of Americans, as 70% of respondents say they would "definitely not allow" their cell phone provider to use their location in order to tailor ads to them; another 22% answered they would "probably not allow" this.
Source: Cynopsis Media, July 2012
Tango Media Management